Place:


Lowthorpe  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lowthorpe like this:

LOWTHORPE, a parish in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire; on the Hull and Scarborough railway, 4¼ miles NE by E of Great Driffield. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Hull. Acres, 1,960. Real property, £2,089. Pop., 171. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to W. St. Quintin, Esq. Lowthorpe Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £64. Patron, W. St. Quintin, Esq. The church is ancient; was made collegiate, in the time of Edward III., for a rector, 6 chaplains, and 3 clerks; consists now of nave and W tower, with ruined chancel; suffered damage, by the fall of its roof, in 1859; and has since been partially restored. The ruined chancel contains a piscina, an old brass, and two altar-tombs. The churchyard contains an old cross, said to have been brought from Kilham, and a curious monumental stone, with carvings to represent a family offspring.

Lowthorpe through time

Lowthorpe is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lowthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lowthorpe, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13333

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lowthorpe ".