Place:


Londesborough  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Londesborough like this:

LONDESBOROUGH, a parish, with a railway station, in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire; on Erminestreet, adjacent to the York and Market-Weighton railway, 2 ½ miles NNW of Market-Weighton. It contsins the hamlet of East Thorpe; is believed to include the Roman station Delgovitia; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Denison. ...


Post town, Market-Weighton, under Brough, Yorkshire. Acres, 4,200. Real property, £5,030. Pop., 306. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Cliffords and others, and passed to the Duke of Devonshire. Londesborough Park is the seat of Lord Londesborough; and has finely wooded grounds, in which Roman coins and other antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £798. * Patron, Lord Londesborough. The church is ancient but good; has a tower; and contains several brasses and marble ornaments, and a stone font. There are a national school, alms houses for 12 persons with £100 ayear from endowment, and other charities £3.

Londesborough through time

Londesborough is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Londesborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Londesborough, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13324

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Londesborough ".