Place:


Lockwood  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lockwood like this:

LOCKWOOD, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Almondbury parish, Huddersfield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the river Holme, and to the Huddersfield and Holmfirth railway, 1 mile SSW of Huddersfield; is large and wellbuilt; and has a station on the railway, and a post office ‡ under Huddersfield.-The township comprises 804 acres. ...


Pop. in 1851,5,556; in 1861,6,755. Houses, 1,448. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of several new factories. -The chapelry includes also part of Almondbury township; contains the villages of Lockwood, Salford, Newsome, Primrose-Hill, Taylor-Hill, and Crossland-Moor; and was constituted in 1842. Rated property, £15,327. Pop., 8,783. Houses, 1,820. The property is much subdivided. The manufacture of woollen cloths, both plain and fancy, is carried on; machines of all kinds, for manufacturing uses, are made in an extensive iron and brass foundry; and there is a Very large brewery. Chalybeate springs and baths also are here; have a handsome building, erected in 1827; and are highly esteemed for their medicinal qualities. The Huddersfield and Sheffield railway traverses the chapelry, and has here a viaduct 350 feet long, with 36 arches, and with a maximum height of 136 feet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. * Patron, the Vicar of Almondbury. The church is in the decorated English style; and has a fine E window, and a bell-turret. A portion of the chapelry around Rashcliffe, with a pop. of 4,140, was recently made a separate charge. A national school there was built in 1860, as a memorial to J.Fenton, Esq., and was used also as a church. There are two Baptist chapels and a Free Methodist chapel in Lockwood, a Free Methodist chapel in Crossland-Moor, a large national school at Lockwood, a national school at Newsome, and a mechanics' institute, with library and reading-room, at Lockwood. A family who figure in the ballad, the "History of Sir J. Ealand, "took name from Lockwood. -The sub-district comprises Lockwood township and part of Linthwaite township. Acres, 1,329. Pop., 9,488. Houses, 1,988.

Lockwood through time

Lockwood is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lockwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lockwood, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13322

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lockwood ".