Place:


Leavening  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leavening like this:

LEAVENING, a village and a township in Acklam parish, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands at the W foot of the Wolds, 6 miles SSW of New Malton; and has a post office under York. The township comprises 1, 110 acres. Real property, £2, 052. Pop., 408. Houses, 102. The manor belongs to Lord Middleton. Much of the land is disposed in market gardens. There are a chapel of ease, and chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists; and the chapel of ease is used also as a schoolhouse.

Leavening through time

Leavening is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leavening itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leavening, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13294

Date accessed: 19th August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leavening ".