Place:


Stowell  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowell like this:

STOWELL, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; 1½ mile W of Temple-Combe r. station, and 4½ SSW of Wincanton. Post town, Wincanton, under Bath. Acres, 902. Rated property, £1,279. Pop., 133. Houses, 31. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £220. Patrons, the Representatives of W. M. Dorrington, Esq. The church was built in 1834.

Stowell through time

Stowell is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stowell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowell in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13276

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stowell ".