Stoke Sub Hamdon  Somerset


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoke Sub Hamdon like this:

STOKE-UNDER-HAMDON, a parish, with East Stoke and West Stoke villages, in Yeovil district, Somerset; 2 miles S by E of Martock r. station, and 5½ WNW of Yeovil. It has a post-office under Ilminster, and a fair on 23 April. Acres, 1,330. Real property, £4,676; of which £90 are in quarries. ...

Pop., 1,395. Houses, 294. The manor belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. Hamdon Hill, on the boundary, is separately noticed. Glove-making is carried on. Remains exist of Roman entrenchments. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £104. Patron, T. Hawkesworth, Esq. The church is in mixed architecture and cruciform. There are an Independent chapel and a Wesleyan chapel; and the former was built in 1866, and is in the decorated style, with tower and spire.

Stoke Sub Hamdon through time

Stoke Sub Hamdon is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoke Sub Hamdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoke Sub Hamdon in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 21st October 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoke Sub Hamdon ".