Place:


Knapton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knapton like this:

KNAPTON, a township-chapelry in Wintringham parish, E. R. Yorkshire; on the river Derwent, adjacent to the York and Scarborough railway, 6½ miles NE by E of New Malton. It has a station on the railway; and its post town iS Rillington, under York. Acres, 2, 740. Real property, £3, 213. Pop., 271. Houses, 47. Knapton Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £48. Patron, J. Tindall, Esq. The church is ancient, and has a bell turret. There are chapels for Quakers and Wesleyans.

Knapton through time

Knapton is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knapton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knapton, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13234

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knapton ".