Place:


Kirkby Wharfe  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkby Wharfe like this:

KIRKBY-WHARF, a township and a parish in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wharfe, near Ulleskelf r. station, 2 miles SSE of Tadcaster; and bears the name of Kirkby-Wharf-withNorth Milford. Acres, 1, 240. Real property, £2, 206. Pop., 100. Houses, 17. The parish contains also the townships of Ulleskelf and Grimston; and its post town is Tadcaster. ...


Acres, 3, 139. Real property, £6, 413. Pop., 739. Houses, 153. The property is divided among a few. Grimston Park is the seat of Lord Londesborough. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £345.*-Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is early English, with a tower; was recently restored; and has a fine memorial window, and some fine old carved oak. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £10.

Kirkby Wharfe through time

Kirkby Wharfe is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkby Wharfe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkby Wharfe, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13225

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkby Wharfe ".