Place:


Skilgate  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skilgate like this:

SKILGATE, a parish, with a village, in the district of Tiverton and county of Somerset; 4 miles NE by N of Bampton r. station. Post town, Huish-Champflower, under Wellington, Somerset. Acres, 2,108. Real property, £1,626. Pop., 214. Houses, 41. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £290.* Patrons, the Representatives of the late Rev. R. Bere. The church is old but good, and has a Norman tower. There is a parochial school.

Skilgate through time

Skilgate is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skilgate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skilgate in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13223

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skilgate ".