Place:


Shipham  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipham like this:

SHIPHAM, a village and a parish in Axbridge district, Somerset. The village stands on a slope of Black down, among the Mendip hills, 2½ miles NNE of Axbridge, and 5½ S by E of Yatton r. station; and has a post-office under Bristol, and cattle fairs on 27 Apriland 17 Nov. The parish comprises 766 acres. ...


Rated property, £1,019. Pop. in 1851, 610; in 1861, 520. Houses, 123. The property is much divided. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Wells. Lead and zinc mines are here, but have ceased to be worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £135.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church was rebuilt in 1842. There are a national school, a men's club, and an endowed female club.

Shipham through time

Shipham is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shipham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipham, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13221

Date accessed: 20th July 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shipham ".