Place:


Kirkby Fleetham  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkby Fleetham like this:

KIRKBY-FLEETHAM, a parish in Bedale district, N. R. Yorkshire; near the river Swale, 3½ miles N of Leeming-Lane r. station, and 4¾ N by E of Bedale. It contains the hamlets of Great Fencote, and Little Fencote or South Fencote; and has a post office under Bedale. Acres, 2, 974. Real property, £5, 442. ...


Pop., 606Houses, 139. The property is subdivided. Fleetham Hall and much of the land belong to H. E. Waller, Esq. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Fencotes, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300. * Patron, the Bishop of Ripon. The church is Norman and earlyEnglish; has a massive well proportioned tower; and contains some fine monuments. There are remains of an ancient edifice, supposed to have been of a religions order, surrounded by a moat. There are also remnants of the ancient village of Kirkby. The vicarage was, in the beginning of the present century, transferred to Fleetham, nearly a mile distant.

Kirkby Fleetham through time

Kirkby Fleetham is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkby Fleetham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkby Fleetham, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13217

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkby Fleetham ".