Place:


South Kirkby  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Kirkby like this:

KIRKBY (SOUTH), a village, a township, and a parish in Hemsworth district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 6 miles ENE of Cudworth r. station, and 8 S of Pontefract; is an ancient place; and has a post office under Pontefract.-The township comprises 1, 750 acres. Real property, £4, 540; of which £162 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 482. Houses, 117.—The parish contains also the townships of Skelbrooke, Hamphall-Stubbs, North Elmsall, and South Elmsall. Acres, 7, 248. Real property, £11, 465. Pop. in 1851, 1, 420: in 1861, 1, 284. Houses, 301. The manor of South Kirkby belongs to the Rev. John Allott; that of Skelbrooke, to the Neville family; that of Elmsall to Col. Cholmley. Hague Hall, the Grove, Stubbs Hall, and Elmsall Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rev. George Allott. The church is later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains monuments of the Wentworths and the Allotts. There are two Wesleyan chapels, and charities £41.

South Kirkby through time

South Kirkby is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Kirkby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Kirkby, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13216

Date accessed: 16th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Kirkby ".