Place:


South Kilvington  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Kilvington like this:

KILVINGTON (SOUTH), a township and a parish in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the rivulets Cod beck and Whitelass beck, 2 miles N of Thirsk r. station. Acres, 1, 051. Real property, £2, 138. Pop., 233. Houses, 58. The parish contains also the townships of Upsall and Thornbrough; and its post town is Thirsk. ...


Acres, 2, 871. Real property, £4, 288. Pop., 360. Houses, 77. The property is subdivided. Kilvington House is a chief residence. A castle of the Scrope family was at Upsall. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £511.* Patron, Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The church is ancient but good; has a wooden tower; and contains a font of the time of Edward IV., engraved with the arms of the Scrope family. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.

South Kilvington through time

South Kilvington is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Kilvington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Kilvington, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13193

Date accessed: 26th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Kilvington ".