Place:


Longton  Staffordshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Longton like this:

Longton.-- mun. bor. and market town, Stoke upon Trent par., Staffordshire, at S. extremity of the Potteries, 2½ miles SE. and within the parl. limits of Stoke upon Trent, and 152 miles NW. of London by rail, 786 ac., pop. 18,620; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Before the rise of the industrial activity of the "Potteries," Longton was an inconsiderable hamlet; it is now a large and prosperous town. ...


During the years 1883-84, Acts of Parliament were obtained, which greatly extended the municipal area by embracing the districts of Dresden, East Vale, and Florence. The people are mostly engaged in the mfr. of china and earthenware, but not a few work in the neighbouring collieries and ironstone mines. Malting, brewing, and brickmaking are the other employments.

Longton through time

Longton is now part of Stoke on Trent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stoke on Trent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longton, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1319

Date accessed: 27th June 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longton ".