Place:


Kildwick  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kildwick like this:

KILDWICK, a township and a sub-district in Skipton district, and a parish partly also in Keighley district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Aire and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, adjacent to the North Midland railway, 4 miles SSE of Skipton; and has a station on the railway, jointly with Cross Hills, and a postoffice under Leeds. ...


Acres, 873. Real property, £1, 351. Pop., 170. Houses, 36.—The sub-district contains also the townships of Cononley, Cowling, Glusburn, Farnhill, Bradleys-Both, and Silsden. Acres, 17, 717. Pop. in 1851, 8, 763; in 1861, 7, 853. Houses, 1, 676.—The parish contains likewise the townships of Sutton and Steeton-with-Eastburn. Acres, 22, 079. Real property, £39, 378; of which £4, 783 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 11, 712; in 1861, 10, 893. Houses, 2, 292. The decrease of pop. was mainly in Cononley, Cowling, and BradleysBoth; and was caused chiefly by the stoppage of lead mines in the first of these townships, and by the decline of hand loom weaving in all the three. Considerable increase of pop. occurred in Glusburn and Steeton. The property is much subdivided. The manor of Kildwick, with Kildwick Hall, belongs to the Wilsons; that of Cowling, to R. B. Wainman, Esq.; and Farnhill Hall, with much of Farnhill township, to G. L. Fox, Esq. Lead mines, belonging to the Duke of Devonshire, are in Cononley; quarries are all over the parish; worsted mills are in Cononley, Cowling, Silsden, and Steeton; and other manufacturing works are in Steeton and Sutton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £395 * Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is very ancient; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; is popularly known as "the lang kirk of Craven;" and contains an interesting monument of the 14th century to the Knight Templar, Sir Robert De Styveton. The p. curacies of Cowling and Silsden are separate benefices. Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels are in all the townships; a Baptist chapel is in Sutton; and national schools are in Kildwick, Cononley, Silsden, Cowling, and Sutton. Charities, £56.

Kildwick through time

Kildwick is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kildwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kildwick, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13183

Date accessed: 23rd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kildwick ".