Place:


Sandford Orcas  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandford Orcas like this:

SANDFORD-ORCAS, a parish in the district of Sherborne and county of Somerset; 2 miles S E of Marston r.station, and 3 N N W of Sherborne. It has a post-office under Sherborne. Acres, 1,091. Rated property, £2, 236. Pop., 318. Houses, 78. The manor belongs to H. Hutchings, Esq. The manor-house is a Tudor structure, and was formerly the seat of the Orskoys and the Knoyles. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £283.* Patron, H. Hutchings, Esq. The church is Norman and good. There is a subscription school.

Sandford Orcas through time

Sandford Orcas is now part of West Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sandford Orcas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandford Orcas, in West Dorset and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13174

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sandford Orcas ".