Place:


Saltford  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saltford like this:

SALTFORD, a village and a parish in Keynsham district, Somerset. The village stands on the river Avon, adjacent to the Great Western railway, 5 miles W N W of Bath; is a neat and pleasant place; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office, designated Saltford, Somerset. The parish comprises 880 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 522. Pop., 373. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. S. House is the seat of Vice-Admiral B. M. Kelly. S. tunnel, on the railway, is approached through a deep cutting in lias rocks, and is 499 feet long. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £200.* Patron, J. G. Hill, Esq. The church was restored in 1851. There is an endowed school.

Saltford through time

Saltford is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saltford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saltford in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13171

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saltford ".