Place:


Rowberrow  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rowberrow like this:

ROWBERROW, a parish, with a village, in Axbridge district, Somerset; on the N W end of the Mendip hills, 3 miles N N E of Axbridge, and 5¼ S S E of Yatton r. station. Post-town, Congresbury, Somerset. Acres, 954. Rated property, £511. Pop., 241. Houses, 63. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to E. Leacroft, Esq. Lapis calaminaris is found, and has beenworked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £134.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1865. There is a national school.

Rowberrow through time

Rowberrow is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rowberrow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rowberrow, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13166

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rowberrow ".