Place:


Rimpton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rimpton like this:

RIMPTON, a parish in the district of Sherborne and county of Somerset; 1 mile E S E of Marston r. station, and 3½ N N W of Sherborne. Post-town, Sherborne. Acres, 999. Real property, £2, 508. Pop., 282. Houses, 62. The manor belongs to J. H. Kinglake and A. W. Kinglake, Esqs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £272.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is ancient. There are a parochial school and charities £4.

Rimpton through time

Rimpton is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rimpton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rimpton in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13164

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rimpton ".