Place:


Publow  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Publow like this:

PUBLOW, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset;on an affluent of the river Avon, and on the Radstock railway, 5¼ miles S S E of Bristol. It includes part of Woolard hamlet, and has a post-office under Bristol. Acres, 1, 335. Real property, £2, 754. Pop. in 1851, 810; in 1861, 643. ...


Houses, 136. The decrease of pop.was caused by the closing of copper-works. The propertybelongs chiefly to E. L. Popham, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £25. The church was almost wholly rebuilt, at greatcost, in 1860; and was shattered by lightning in thefollowing year. There are chapels for Calvinists and Methodists, a parochial school, an apprenticing charity of £25 a year, and some other charities.

Publow through time

Publow is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Publow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Publow in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13156

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Publow ".