In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Poyntington like this:
POINTINGTON, a parish in the district of Sherborne and county of Somerset; adjacent to Dorset, 2 miles W S W of Milborne-Port r. station, and 3 N N E of Sherborne. Post-town, Sherborne. Acres, 1,020. Real property, £1, 638. Pop., 174. Houses, 31. The property belongs to Lord Willoughby de Broke. The old manorhouse was the residence of the Malets, and is a fine specimen of 15th century architecture. P. Downs are a meet for the Blackmoor-Vale fox-hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £200.* Patron, Lord Willoughby de Broke. The church is partly Norman, chiefly decorated early English; has a square Tower, with octagonal turret; and the chancel was rebuilt in 1867.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Poyntington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Poyntington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poyntington, in West Dorset and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Poyntington".