Place:


Pitminster  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pitminster like this:

PITMINSTER, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Taunton district, Somerset. The village stands under Black down hills, near the boundary with Devon, 4½ miles S by W of Taunton r. station. The parish includes thetythings of Blagdon, Duddlestone, Fulford, Leigh, Pitminster, and Trendle; and its post town is Taunton. ...


Acres, 5, 120. Real property, £10, 832. Pop., 1, 572. Houses, 334. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Mr. Cox. Barton Grange, Eastbrook House, Maryville, Canons-Grove, Pondisford Park, Pondisford Lodge, Culmhead House, Pitminster Lodge, and Haygrass House are chief residences. There are two maltings and a tannery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £550.* Patron, the Rev. G. R. Lawson. The church is early English; and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £13.—The sub-district contains also9 other parishes. Acres, 21, 702. Pop., 4, 950. Houses, 969.

Pitminster through time

Pitminster is now part of Taunton Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Taunton Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pitminster itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitminster, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13147

Date accessed: 25th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pitminster ".