Place:


Paulton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Paulton like this:

PAULTON, a village and a parish in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, 3 miles N W of Radstock r. station, and 10 S W of Bath; and has a post-office‡ under Bristol, and two goodinns. The parish comprises 1,056 acres. Real property, £5, 149; of which £454 are in mines. ...


Pop., 1, 958. Houses, 439. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Mrs. L. Carter. There are malt-houses, an iron-foundry, two collieries, and several quarries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £172.* Patron, the Vicar of Chewton-Mendip. The church is early English, in good condition; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and United Free Methodists, a national school, and a Wesleyanschool.

Paulton through time

Paulton is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Paulton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Paulton in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13136

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Paulton ".