Place:


Otterford  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Otterford like this:

OTTERFORD, a village and a parish in Taunton district, Somerset. The village stands under the Black Down hills, near the boundary with Devon, and near the source of the river Otter, 7 miles S of Taunton r. station, and 7 N W of Chard; and has a fair on the last Wednesday of Oct. The parish contains also the hamlet of Bishops-Wood; and its post town is Chard. ...


Acres, 2, 387. Real property, £2, 265. Pop., 476. Houses, 102. The manor belongs to W. Beadon, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells Value, £87. Patron, A. Porter, Esq. The church is early English; and consists of nave, aisles, transept, and chancel, with a tower. There is a national school.

Otterford through time

Otterford is now part of Taunton Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Taunton Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Otterford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Otterford, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13134

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Otterford ".