Place:


Thornton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornton like this:

THORNTON, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Bradford parish and district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township stands 3½ miles W of Bradford r. station; and has a post-office under Bradford, a mechanics' institute, and a fair on the first Friday of Nov.-The township contains 4 other villages, and 4 hamlets; and comprises 4,390 acres. ...


Real property, £16,949; of which £2,661 are in mines, and £647 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 8,051; in 1861, 7,627. Houses, 1,630. There are several worsted mills, two stuff manufactories, a wool-combing establishment, two churches, 13 dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £60 a year, several other public schools, and charities £22.—The chapelry includes only part of the township. Pop., 4,811. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Bradford.—The sub-district comprises T. and Clayton townships. Acres, 6,000. Pop., 13,282. Houses, 2,802.

Thornton through time

Thornton is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornton, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1313

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornton ".