Place:


Oare  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oare like this:

OARE, a parish in Williton district, Somerset; on the East Lynn river at the boundary with Devon, 7 miles E S E of Lynton, and 12 W of Minehead r. station. Post-town, Lynton, under Barnstaple. Acres, 4,000. Rated property, £468. Pop., 60. Houses, 12. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to N. Snow, Esq. Most of the land is lofty moor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £151.* Patron, the Rev. W. S. Halliday. The church is later English; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower.

Oare through time

Oare is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oare itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oare in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13129

Date accessed: 23rd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oare ".