Place:


Oake  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oake like this:

OAKE, a parish in Wellington district, Somerset; on the river Tone, and on the Bristol and Exeter railway, 4 miles N N E of Wellington r. station. Post-town, Taunton. Acres, 865. Real property, £1, 792. Pop., 155. Houses, 32. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to P. Broadmead, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late F. Prowde. The church is a plain building; and consists of nave, centre aisle, and chancel, with a tower. There are a subscription school, and charities £40.

Oake through time

Oake is now part of Taunton Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Taunton Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oake itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oake, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13124

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oake ".