Place:


Nyland  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nyland like this:

NYLAND, a quondam parish in Axbridge district, Somerset; 3¼ miles S E of Axbridge. It contains the tything of Batcombe; belongs to Glastonbury; is now extra-parochial; and has been assigned, for ecclesiastical purposes, to Draycot. Acres, 590. Real property, £2,094. Pop., 40. Houses, 6. An ancient church, called and redesey, stood on an acclivity; and was given, in 670, by Kenewalch, king of the West Saxons, to Glastonbury abbey.

Nyland through time

Nyland is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nyland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nyland, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13122

Date accessed: 16th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nyland ".