Place:


Norton Sub Hamdon  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton Sub Hamdon like this:

NORTON-UNDER-HAMDON, a parish, with a village, in Yeovil district, Somerset; near the river Parret, 4½ miles N by E of Crewkerne r. station, and 5½ W of Yeovil. Post-town, Ilminster. Acres, 642. Real property, £1, 945. Pop., 467. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor and much of the land belong to Major Quantock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £240.* Patron, the Rev. G. Lock. The church is late perpendicular; was restored in 1862; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and has a fine memorial W four-light window, put up in 1862, for Mrs. Quantock and child. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £8.

Norton Sub Hamdon through time

Norton Sub Hamdon is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton Sub Hamdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton Sub Hamdon in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13120

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton Sub Hamdon ".