Place:


Norton Malreward  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton Malreward like this:

NORTON-MALREWARD, a parish in Clutton district, Somerset; on the Bristol, Radstock, and Frome railwayin course of formation in 18675 miles S of Bristol. Post-town, Pensford, under Bristol. Acres, 1,067. Rated property, £1, 400. Pop., 108. Houses, 22. The property is divided among a few. Maes knoll, on the E extremity of Dundry hill, and on the line of Wans dyke, is an ancient British camp, and a well-known landmark. ...


Maes knoll Tump, rising above the level of the interior of the camp, is a tumulus 390 feet long, 84 feet wide, and about 45 feet high. An ancient equestrian gold ring was exhumed, in accompaniment with bones, in a quarry on the Manor farm. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rev. W. P. Wait. The church was rebuilt in 1861; is in the Norman and decorated English styles; and retains the tower and a Norman arch of theprevious church. There is a national school.

Norton Malreward through time

Norton Malreward is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton Malreward itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton Malreward in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13118

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton Malreward ".