Place:


West Monkton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Monkton like this:

MONKTON (WEST), a village and a parish in Taunton district, Somerset. The village stands on a spur of the Quantock hills, 2 or 2½ miles N of the Bridgewater canal, the Bristol and Exeter railway, and the river Tone, and 3½ NE by N of# Taunton; and has a post office, of the name of Monkton, under Taunton. ...


The parish con tains also the hamlets of Bathpool and Gotton. Acres, 3,079. Real property, £8,538. Pop., 1,153. Houses, 248. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Miss Warre. Monkton House is the seat of Capt. Shuldham; Walford House, of R.. K. M. King, Esq.; Court Place, of J. A. Kinglake, Esq.; Sidbrool House, of R. Hedley, Esq.; Springfield House, of Mrs. Sweet; and Creechbarrow, on the Tone, of Captain Beadon. M any spots command splendid views ''T here are several quarries, and considerable flour mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £700. * Patron, the Rev. W.Kinglake. The church is later English, simple but very symmetrical; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are a national school, alms houses with i45 a year, and other charities £6.

West Monkton through time

West Monkton is now part of Taunton Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Taunton Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Monkton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Monkton, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13107

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Monkton ".