Place:


Marksbury  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marksbury like this:

MARKSBURY, a village and a parish in Keynsham district, Somerset. The village stands 3½ miles S of Keynsham r. station, and 5½ WSW of Bath; and has a post office under Bristol. The parish contains also the hamlet of Houndstreet. Acres, 1,277. Real property, £2,590. Pop., 307. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £240.* Patron, F. L. Polpham, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Marksbury through time

Marksbury is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marksbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marksbury in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13094

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marksbury ".