In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Litton like this:
LITTON, a village and a parish in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands 3 miles SW of Clutton, and 6¼ NNE of Wells r. station.The parish contains also the hamlets of Greendown and Sherborn; and its Post town is Stratton-on-the-Fosse, under Bath. Acres, 1,117. Real property, £2,517. Pop., in 1851,421; in 1861,313. Houses, 81. The decrease of pop. arose from the removal of about 200 persons, who were temporarily employed in erecting the Bristol water-works. The property is snbdivided. ...
The manor belongs to General Lowth. Lillycombe is the seat of Capt. John Rendall. The reservoirs of the Bristol water-works are partly in this parish, and partly in that of Hinton-Blewett. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £250.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is later English; was erected in 1485; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and was reported in 1859 as not good. Charities, £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Litton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mendip. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Litton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Litton, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Litton".