Place:


High Littleton  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Littleton like this:

LITTLETON (HIGH), a village and a parish in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands 8½ miles SW by W of Bath r. station, and is considerable.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Hallatrow, which has a postoffice under Bristol. Acres, 1,273. Real property, £4,223. Pop., 860. ...


Houses, 179. High Littleton House is the seat of John R. Mogg, Esq.; Kingwell House, of Capt. Scobell; and Mountvale, of John E. Scobell, Esq. Coal is largely worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £120.* Patron, the Rev. H. Mogg. The church was restored and enlarged in 1824, and again in 1842; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a fine tower; and contains monuments of the 15th century to the Hodges family. There are national schools, and charities &.15.

High Littleton through time

High Littleton is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about High Littleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Littleton in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13048

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " High Littleton ".