Place:


Hunshelf  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hunshelf like this:

HUNSHELF, a township in Penistone parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the river Don and the Sheffield railway, 2 miles S of Penistone. It includes the hamlets of Greenmoor and Snowden-Hill, and comprises 3, 120 acres. Real property, £5, 369; of which £1, 600 are in ironworks, and £600 in quarries. ...


Pop. in 1851, 729; in 1861, 1, 150. Houses, 210. The increase of pop. was caused by the establishment of large steel wire works at Stock's-Bridge, about 1¼ mile W of Deepcar r. station. The manor belongs to Lord Wharncliffe. Flagstone is extensively quarried; and red and black fire clay abound. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.

Hunshelf through time

Hunshelf is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hunshelf itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hunshelf, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13037

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hunshelf ".