Place:


Chigwell  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chigwell like this:

CHIGWELL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Epping district, Essex. The village stands adjacent to the river Roding, near Epping forest, 1½ mile ESE of Buckhurst Hill r. station, and 6 SSW of Epping; and has a post office under London NE., and a fair on 30 Sept. The parish includes also the village of Chigwell-Row. ...


Acres, 4, 522. Real property, £15, 661. Pop., 2, 676. Houses, 474. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church has traces of Norman; is good; and contains brasses of 1540 and 1631. The rectories of Buckhurst and Chigwell-Row are separate benefices. A school, founded in 1629 by Archbishop Harsnet, has £340 from endowment; and other charities have £74. Archbishop Harsnet, and Beloe, the translator of Herodotus, were vicars; and Penn, the Quaker, was educated in the school. -The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 1, 634. Pop., 5, 987. Houses, 1, 143.

Chigwell through time

Chigwell is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chigwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chigwell, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1303

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chigwell ".