Place:


Hudswell  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hudswell like this:

HUDSWELL, a township and chapelry in Catterick parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Swale, 2½ miles WSW of Richmond r. station. It includes the hamlet of Thorpe-under-Stone; and its post town is Richmond, Yorkshire. Acres, 2, 831. Real property, £2, 400. Pop., 249. Houses, 56. The property is divided among a few. Coal and lead ore are worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £90.* Patron, the Vicar of Catterick. The church is good; and there are a national school with £18 from endowment, and charities with £22.

Hudswell through time

Hudswell is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hudswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hudswell, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13028

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hudswell ".