Place:


Petham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Petham like this:

PETHAM, a village and a parish in Bridge district, Kent. The village stands near Stane-street, 3 miles S S E of Chartham r. station, and 5 S by W of Canterbury; and has a post-office under Canterbury. The parish contains also the hamlets of Swarling and Garlinge-Green. Acres, 3, 235. Real property, £5, 131. ...


Pop., 596. Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given, in 1036, to Christchurch, Canterbury; and passed, after the Reformation, to the Crown. Petham House is the seat of T. H. Mackay, Esq. There are remains of entrenchments, which have been generallyascribed to Cæsar. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Waltham, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church consists of aisles and chancel, with a tower. There are a national school, and charities about £53.

Petham through time

Petham is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Petham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Petham, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13026

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Petham ".