Place:


Kingsdon  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingsdon like this:

KINGSDON, a village and a parish in Langford district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Cary and the Fosse way, 2¼ miles N of Ilchester, and 6 W of Sparkford r. station; and has a post office under Taunton. The parish comprises 2, 064 acres. Real property, £3, 190. Pop., 472. ...


Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to A. Moody, Esq. Kingsdon Hill commands a fine view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £432.* Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is early and decorated English, in good condition; comprises nave, aisle, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains a piscina, and an effigies of a Knight Templar.

Kingsdon through time

Kingsdon is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingsdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingsdon in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12997

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingsdon ".