Place:


Markby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Markby like this:

MARKBY, a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln; near the coast, 3½ miles NE by E of Alford r. station. Posttown, Alford. Acres, 652. Real property, £1,107. Pop., 111. Houses, 25. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to L. Massingberd, Esq. A prio for black canons was founded here, before the time of King John, by Ralph Fitz-Gilbert; but has left no vestiges. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £118. Patron,L. Massingberd, Esq. The church is an old thatched building, with bell turret; and was recently in disrepair. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Markby through time

Markby is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Markby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Markby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12992

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Markby ".