Place:


Coulsdon  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coulsdon like this:

COULSDON, or Cullesden, a parish in Croydon district, Surrey; between the Brighton and Caterham railway, 2½ miles SSW of Caterham-Junction r. station, and 5 S by W of Croydon. Post town, Caterham, under Red Hill. Acres, 4, 403. Real property, £4, 451 . Pop., 993. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £636.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church has a curious monument of 1635; and is good. An hospital for incurables, spacious, cheerful, and even elegant, was erected at Coulsdon in 1863.

Coulsdon through time

Coulsdon is now part of Croydon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Croydon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coulsdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coulsdon, in Croydon and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1299

Date accessed: 11th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coulsdon ".