Place:


Horsington  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horsington like this:

HORSINGTON, a village and a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset. The village stands near the river Cale, 1 mile NW of Templecombe r. station, and 3¾ SSW of Wincanton; and has a post office under Bath. The parish contains also the hamlets of South Cheriton and Wilkenthrop. Acres, 3, 591. ...


Real property, with North Cheriton, £8, 782. Rated property, without N. C., £6, 253. Pop., 869. Houses, 181. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to John Bailward, Esq. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £874. * Patron, the Rev. Hill D. Wickham. The church, excepting its chancel and its tower, was rebuilt in 1819 in the Italian style; and it contains an old font and a carved flamboyant chest. An ancient cross is near it. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, a large school house, and charities £20.

Horsington through time

Horsington is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horsington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horsington in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12965

Date accessed: 20th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horsington ".