Place:


Hinton Blewett  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinton Blewett like this:

HINTON-BLEWETT, a village and a parish in Clutton district, Somerset. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Clutton, and 7 ½ NNE of Wells r. station; and is a scattered place. The parish contains also the hamlets of South Widcombe, Coley, and Shortwood; and its posttown is Temple Cloud, under Bristol. ...


Acres, 1, 102. Real property, £2, 548. Pop., 302. Houses, 69. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Robert F. Wright, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £238.* Patrons, the Representatives of the late Rev. James Johnson. The church is later English, in good condition; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisle, with S porch and massive tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, a slightly endowed national school, and charities £4.

Hinton Blewett through time

Hinton Blewett is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinton Blewett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinton Blewett in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12957

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinton Blewett ".