Place:


Kirkby  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkby like this:

KIRKBY, a township-chapelry in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, Lancashire; on the Liverpool and Bury railway, 7½ miles NNE of Liverpool. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post office under Prescot. Acres, 3, 920. Real property, £7, 421. Pop., 1, 415. Houses, 245. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Earl of Sefton; and has belonged to his family since the time of William II. ...


An extensive tract, called Kirkby Moss, lies in the E, and extends beyond the chapelry toward Windle. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £250.* Patron, the Earl of Sefton. The church was rebuilt in 1766, and contains a Norman font. There are a national school, and charities £13.

Kirkby through time

Kirkby is now part of Knowsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Knowsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkby, in Knowsley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1294

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkby ".