Place:


Hawkridge  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawkridge like this:

HAWKRIDGE, a village and a parish in Dulverton district, Somerset. The village stands on a hill adjacent to the rivulet Dun, at the boundary with Devon, and near the river Barle, 4 miles WNW of Dulverton, and 15 NW by N of Tiverton r. station; and has postal commnnication, through Dulverton, under Tiverton. ...


The parish comprises 3, 725 acres. Real property, £981. Pop. in 1851, 69; in 1861, 110. Houses, 19. The increase of pop. arose partly from the employment of labourers in enclosing a large common. The property is divided among a few. Ruins of a baronial castle are adjacent to the Dun, at Castle bridge. The parish is a meet for the Dulverton harriers, and the Devon and Somerset hounds. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Withypoole, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £450.* Patron, the Rev. J. Jekyll. The church is Norman and good; consists of nave and chancel with a square tower; and has a Norman font, hewn out of a native block of stone, at least half a ton in weight.

Hawkridge through time

Hawkridge is now part of West Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hawkridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawkridge in West Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12938

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawkridge ".