Place:


West Hatch  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Hatch like this:

HATCH (West), a village and a parish in Taunton district, Somerset. The village stands near the Hatch station of the Chard and Taunton railway, 4¼ miles SE of Taunton. The parish comprises 1,681 acres. Posttown, Hatch-Beauchamp, under Taunton. Rated property, £2, 008. Pop., 432. Houses, 101. ...


The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The limits include part of Sedgemoor. The living is a vicarage, formerly annexed to the vicarage of North Curry, but made a separate charge in 1856, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £65.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is later English; was restored and enlarged in 1861; and consists of aisles, chancel, and porcli, with tower and spire. There is a national school.

West Hatch through time

West Hatch is now part of Taunton Deane district. Click here for graphs and data of how Taunton Deane has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Hatch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Hatch, in Taunton Deane and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12933

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Hatch ".