Place:


High Ham  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Ham like this:

HAM, or HIGH HAM, a village and a parish, in Langport district, Somerset. The village stands 3½ miles N of Langport r. station; and has a post office, of the name of High Ham, under Langport. The parish includes also the chapelry of Low Ham or Nether Ham, the tything of Beer, the hamlet of Henley, the Langport workhouse, and part of the hamlets of Wagg and Paradise. ...


Acres, 4, 229. Real property, £7, 171. Pop., 283. Houses, 243. The property is subdivided. The manor of Low Ham belongs to the Mildmays. High Ham living is a rectory, and Nether Ham a p. curacy, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value of H. H., £533;* of N. H., £40. Patron, of the former, Worcester College, Oxford; of the latter, H. G.ST. J. Mildmay, Esq. The parish church is perpendicular English; and consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are Independent chapels, and a parochial school.

High Ham through time

High Ham is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about High Ham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Ham in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12921

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " High Ham ".