Place:


Hipswell  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hipswell like this:

HIPSWELL, a township and a chapelry in Richmond district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on Rysdale beck, near its influx to the Swale, and near the Richmond railway, 2 miles SE of Richmond; and is in the parish of Catterick. Acres, 2, 785. Real property, £2, 768. Pop., 260. Houses, 53. ...


Hipswell Lodge is a chief residence. The chapelry includes also the townships of Calbourn and Scotton, and the extra-parochial tract of St. Martin; and its post town is Richmond, Yorkshire. Pop., 566. Houses, 113. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Catterick. The church is modern. There are a village school and charities £24. A Benedictine priory was founded here about the year 1100, and was valued, at the dissolution, at £43 16s. 8d. per annum.

Hipswell through time

Hipswell is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hipswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hipswell, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12909

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hipswell ".