Place:


Goathurst  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Goathurst like this:

GOATHURST, a parish in Bridgewater district, Somerset; 3½ miles SW by W of Bridgewater town and r. station. It has a post office under Bridgewater. Acres, 1, 436. Real property, £2, 510. Pop., 30 4. Houses, 57. The manor belonged to the Gatherests, the Powletts, and the Halswells; and passed to the Tyntes. ...


Halswell House, the seat of Col.K. K. Tynte, is a handsome structure of 1689; built, by Sir Halswell Tynte, on the site of a previous mansion; and stands amid splendid grounds, with grottoes, temples, cascades, and distant prospects over land and sea. The parish is famous for the size and beauty of its trees. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £378.* Patron, Col.K. K. Tynte. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Tyntes.

Goathurst through time

Goathurst is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Goathurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Goathurst, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12877

Date accessed: 22nd June 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Goathurst ".