Healaugh  West Riding


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Healaugh like this:

HEALAUGH, a parish in the district of Tadcaster and W. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles N by E of Tadcaster town and r. station. Post town, Tadcaster. Acres, 2, 800. Real property, £4, 431. Pop., 228. Houses, 41. The manor, with Healaugh Hall, belongs to the Rev. E. H. Brooksbank. An ancient manor house, occupying the site of a previous edifice, called ' ' the Hermitage in the Wood, '' was converted, in 1218, by Jordan de St. ...

Maria, into a priory of black canons; was given, at the dissolution, to James Gage; passed to Sir Arthur Darey; became the residence of Sir Thomas Wharton; and is now a moated farm house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £100.* Patron, the Rev. E. H. Brooksbank. The church was partially rebuilt in 1860; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; has a fine Norman door; contains an elegant tomb of Sir Thomas Wharton; and stands on an eminence.

Healaugh through time

Healaugh is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Healaugh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Healaugh, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th March 2018

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Healaugh ".